Selena Gomez is making one of her boldest career pivots yet: starting in four-hour X-rated film
Published by RawNews1st
8:33 pm ( May 19, 2026 )
Selena Gomez is making one of her boldest career pivots yet, with a provocative new film that’s a far cry from her Disney Channel days.
Blanchett herself recently dropped a major hint at the Cannes Film Festival, saying she is ‘about to work with Brady Corbet on a film,’ while Fassbender’s involvement was revealed just days earlier, per the outlet.
The project, rumored to be titled The Origin of the World, is said to unfold largely in the 1970s, with Corbet previously teasing its ‘X-rated content’ in a 2025 interview.
He also hinted the film could stretch to around four hours, revealing at the Storyhouse Screenwriting Festival in Dublin that the script runs to roughly 200 pages.

Corbet, the Oscar-nominated filmmaker behind The Brutalist, is reportedly assembling an A-list cast, with Cate Blanchett and Michael Fassbender also linked to the film.
Corbet’s The Brutalist already raised eyebrows with a 165-page script and a sprawling three-and-a-half-hour runtime – but this new project looks set to push things even further.
‘The film spans from the 19th century into the present day – it’s just predominantly focused on the 70s. The film is really, really genre-defying,’ Corbett said in 2025, per Variety.
In keeping with its outsized ambition, the production is also reportedly being shot using rare eight-perf 65mm cameras.
The project will mark Corbet’s fourth feature as a director, following The Childhood of a Leader, Vox Lux, and last year’s Oscar contender The Brutalist.
Behind the scenes, he also continues to collaborate with Mona Fastvold, having produced her film The Testament of Ann Lee.
During a masterclass at Cannes Film Festival over the weekend, Blanchett revealed that she is “about to work with Brady Corbet on a film”, which also reunites her with Fassbender, who she starred alongside in the 2025 psychological thriller Black Dog.
The Origin of the World will be Gomez’s first feature film since the widely acclaimed 2024 crime musical Emilia Pérez, which made history with 13 Oscar nominations at the 2025 Academy Awards – the most nominations for a non-English-language film.